Hello there! You’ve arrived on this page because:
- Your brick-and-mortar or online business needs a professional online presence to support your business goals now and into the near future.
- Your side business needs a website so you can be attracting customers/clients and making sales while you’re working a day job. (It’s all about diversifying sources of income for increased stability.)
- Your startup needs to communicate how it’s bringing value to potential investors and advisors as well as how it improves the lives of your end users.
If one of these describes you, you’re in the right place.
Let’s talk about how I can help you build your website and the steps involved.
This is a series of consulting sessions, where we map out the specific scope of your project. You benefit from our 10+ years of experience building websites, as well as our dedication to staying on top of the best practices of our industry.
The entire purpose of discovery is to make sure the project plan will serve the goals of your organization, be it increasing revenue, donations, email signups, or creating efficiencies that save you time. We want your entire investment in the final project to be well utilized and for you to see a return.
You’ll come away with a website plan and estimate for the website build.
This process usually takes anywhere from 5 to 10 hours, depending on the scale of the project.
We start by billing you for 5 hours, and add additional time if necessary.
Of course, if for some reason you don’t use the 5 hours, we will refund any of the time you haven’t spent.
The WordPress Website Build
To start, we’ll include everything you need to get your website up and running:
- DOMAIN & HOSTING – I’ll help you to choose and register your domain name and setup hosting if you don’t already have one.
- WORDPRESS – Installation and setup of WordPress core.
- PLUGINS – Installation and setup of the plugins your website needs.
- CUSTOM DESIGN – We’re talking about the color scheme, typography, button and link styles.
- RESPONSIVE DESIGN – Your website will work and look great on smartphones and tablets.
- 5 PAGES – Includes up to 5 pages in addition to your homepage.
- CONTACT FORM – Make it easy for potential clients/customers to reach you.
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Add share/like buttons, links to your social channels, and embed your social feeds.
- FAVICONS – A favicon is no longer one size fits all. A comprehensive favicon mean you’ll not only have a browser tab icon but also an Apple Touch icon, Windows 8 icon, etc.
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION – I’ll optimize your website content and submit your website to Google and Bing.
- GOOGLE ANALYTICS – Create and setup your account and integrate tracking into your website.
- 1 HOUR TRAINING – We will meet to go over how to update content and other changes to your new website.
- 30 DAY EMAIL SUPPORT – If you have any questions, you’ll have 30 days of complimentary email support after your website is completed.
Our website packages start at $2948.
Need extras such as eCommerce, ad management, custom graphics, etc.? No problem, we’ll go over all of your requirements during the discovery process.
The Design Process
Creating your website will involve several phases:
In order to design a successful website, I’ll need to gather some information to understand your business and determine what you’ll need in a website. I’ll send you a website worksheet to complete. It will go over: goals, target audience, content, special functionality, etc. Once you’ve filled it out as best as you can, we’ll walk through it together.
Based on the information in the discovery stage, I’ll put together a plan for your website. I’ll sketch out your homepage layout, your sitemap will be developed, and you’ll start drafting your website copy and gathering assets you’d like to have included.
3: Design & Styling
Based on our previous discussions we’ll define the visual language of your website. This means coming up with your color scheme, button and link styles, fonts, etc.
This is when your website is created in a staging area. WordPress and plugins are installed and configured, special functionality is coded in, special assets are created. Copy, imagery, and other assets are populated. You’ll have regular opportunities to review the work in progress and provide feedback.
5: Testing & Launch
Now that your website has come together, it’s time to test functionality to make sure forms, links and scripts are working as it should. I’ll also make sure your website looks good in the major modern desktop browsers and mobile. Once everything checks out and I’ve received your final payment, I’ll migrate your website to your domain followed by another test to make sure everything migrated over correctly.
Now that your website is live, you’ll want to make sure everything continues to run smoothly with regular maintenance. This includes updates to WordPress and plugins, security scans, as well as regular and complete backups. If this is something you’d prefer I handle, I have maintenance plans available.
To keep your website content up to date, you’ll be able to edit the content yourself thanks to having your website running on WordPress. This means you won’t need me to make content updates to your website after launch. If you’d much rather hand-off content updates to me, I can certainly help you with that.
[su_spoiler title=”How do I pay?”]
I will send you an online invoice for the total amount of your project.
You’ll pay in installments. Once I receive the final payment, your website will be launched and website files delivered to you.
Payments can be made with major credit cards via the online invoice so you don’t have to worry about sending a check if you’re not local.
[su_spoiler title=”How long will my website build take?”]
Typically a website takes 4-6 weeks to complete.
The time it actually takes will depend on the scope of your project, how many changes you request, and how quickly you’re able to sign-off on the completed work.
[su_spoiler title=”What will you use to build my website?”]
Depending on the project, I will build your site with WordPress and the Genesis Framework. (Think of WordPress as the engine of your car and Genesis as the frame and body.)
WordPress is the #1 content management system (CMS) on the internet. Over 20% of the internet is powered by WordPress. It gives you full control over your content once the design is in place. In short, if you can edit a Word document, you can edit your content. Nice, right?
(Of course, I am always available to help if you’re not interested in doing content updates yourself, but knowing that you can, makes all the difference.)
Genesis is an established WordPress framework. A framework is a powerful type of WordPress theme — the frame and body of the car — that acts as a design, security, and SEO foundation for your website. It also “future-proofs” your site customizations, so there’s no hassle when it comes time to upgrade your software with one click.
If your website doesn’t require a lot of bells and whistles, I will build your site with Squarespace, a website builder and hosting service in one.
Still not sure? Take a look at my portfolio.